Have you glanced at the back of your hands lately? Since starting this blog and taking pictures of my hands and nails, I am not happy at all with what I see. My hands are really aging. Many of us, including myself, take such great care of our faces by using the right products and following a routine. Yet we neglect the back of our hands. Even when applying sunscreen to the face and body, how much thought do we really give to the hands?
It is a fact that the skin on the hands is much thinner than on the face. Therefore, when the natural aging process occurs, it has a noticeable effect on the hands. (Sun exposure speeds up this aging process). The result is wrinkly, creapy, thin skin. Age spots are also present depending on how much sun exposure we had as a child and young adult. However, there is good news! With a little effort, we can improve the appearance of our hands.
The key to having great, younger-looking hands is to follow a routine similar to what we do for our face:
- Cleanse (which is a given)
- Moisturize (several times a day if possible during the winter)
- Exfoliate with a granular scrub (at least once a week)
- Protect (with an SPF of 15 or higher)
- For even more noticeable results, I recommend moisturizing with petroleum jelly or my favorite product, Aquaphor by Eucerin. Apply at bedtime and cover hands with cotton gloves while sleeping.
- I also recommend trying microdermabrasion on the backs of the hands for fabulous results. This super-exfoliating treatment will speed up the cell formation process for radiant skin.