Friday, December 9, 2011

The 12 Days of Christmas Polishes: Day 5/Silver & Gold





TGIF!  Welcome to Day 5 of the 12 Days of Christmas Polishes.  Today's inspiration is from my favorite Christmas movie...Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer.  In that movie, the snowman sings a song titled "Silver and Gold".  Since the song has always stuck in my head, I wanted to do a silver and gold manicure for the holiday season.  This manicure was much more complicated than I thought it would be.  I had to paint my nails three times, with different polishes, to achieve this classy and timeless holiday look.

For my final, and best look, I ended up using what have turned out to be my two favorite polishes...OPI's Bring on the Bling and Essie's Loophole.  I used the silver Loophole on all of my nails except my ring finger, where I painted on the gold glitter, Bring on the Bling.  I suppose that blogging, and coming up with different looks is a game of trial and error.  And I made a few errors trying to achieve this Silver and Gold look with different bottles of polish.

On my first attempt to carry out this look, I used China Glaze's Champagne Bubbles.  While I love most products that I have tried by this company, I wasn't a fan of Champagne BubblesInstead of looking classy, like actual champagne, this hue looked terrible on me.  While I am blaming this on my pale skin tone, I just was very unhappy with the look of the polish.  The color on me reminded me of the color of a McDonald's cheeseburger wrapper.  I even tried to layer OPI's Silver Shatter over it, but I still didn't love the look.

Next, I tried using Loophole as a base, and China Glaze's Tarnished Gold Crackle over it.  Although this manicure looked better than the first one that I tried, I still was underwhelmed with the overall look of it.  Therefore, I went to my final look with Loophole & Bring on the Bling.

In closing, I want to quote my favorite line from the Silver and Gold Song:
     Silver and Gold, Silver and Gold
     Everyone wishes for Silver and Gold
     How do you measure its worth?
     Just by the pleasure it gives here on earth

My first two attempts at this look gave me no pleasure.  I hope that you enjoy the manicure that I finally came up with!  Thanks for reading and I hope that you have a great day.
1st Attempt using Champagne Bubbles with Silver Shatter
2nd Attempt using Loophole w/Gold Crackle



 

No comments:

Post a Comment